Makes 12 bars
- 100g/4oz butter/sunflower spread
- 100g/4oz soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp golden syrup or honey
- 150g/6oz plain flour
- 150g/6oz porridge oats
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp ground ginger or cinnamon
- 100g/4oz raisins (or use chopped dried apricots, dates, cherries, mixed dried fruit etc.)
Heat the oven to 180C/170C Fan/350F/Gas 4.
Melt the butter, sugar and syrup together in a large heat proof bowl in the microwave (for about 1 minute on a medium setting).
Add the dry ingredients and egg and mix well (it should make quite a firm dough).
Spoon the mixture into a greased 20cm x 15cm baking dish.
Bake for around 20 minutes, or until it's golden brown and firm to the touch.
Cut into bars while still warm and in the tin.
Turn out of the tin when cool.
Suitable for freezing.