Makes around 3 jars
- 350 g/12oz 'normal' dried mixed fruit (currants, raisins, sultanas, peel)
- 100g/4oz chopped 'posh' dried fruits (any combination of apricots, cranberries, dates, cherries, prunes etc)
- 200g/8oz peeled, cored and grated apples (cooking or eating are fine)
- 100g/4oz vegetarian suet or chopped block butter
- 150g/6oz soft dark brown sugar
- 50g/2oz chopped nuts (not peanuts or cashews)
- Zest of 1 orange and 1 lemon
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp brandy or orange liqueur
Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Allow to cool in the pan and then stir well.
Mix in the brandy/liqueur.
Spoon into sterilised jam jars, cover with wax discs and seal the jars.
Store in a cool dark place for upto 3 months. Pin It