- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red or orange pepper, chopped
- 4 mushrooms, chopped or sliced
- ½ courgette (or a carrot), chopped
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 500 ml carton of passata/creamed tomatoes (or a tin of chopped tomatoes)
- Fresh basil or parsley, chopped (or use ½-1 tsp dried herbs)
- Black pepper to taste
- ½ tsp sugar
Gently fry the onion, garlic and chopped veg. in 1 tbsp olive oil.
Add the tomato puree and cook for 1 minute.
Add the rest of the ingredients and stir.
Put the lid on the pan and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
Blend if desired.
Alternatives: Add a drained tin of chick peas or other pulses for a more filling sauce.
Use a base for spaghetti bolognese, lasagne or chilli.Pin It