Serve with rice, chapatti or naan.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp black mustard seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 heaped tsp fresh grated ginger plus 1 crushed clove of garlic (or 2-3 tsp garlic and ginger paste)
- ½ green chilli, deseeded and chopped finely (optional)
- 1-2 green cardamom pods (whole)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1-2 green bell peppers, chopped into chunks
- 1-2 carrots, peeled and sliced thinly
- 100g/4oz mushrooms, sliced
- 100g fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree/paste
- 25g/1oz creamed coconut
Add the onion and cook gently for a couple of minutes.
Add the garlic, ginger, chilli and other spices and cook for another minute or so.
Stir in the tomato puree.
Add the remaining vegetables (except the spinach), and the tinned tomatoes and simmer gently (with the lid on the pan) for around 30 minutes.
Throw in the spinach and creamed coconut and stir well.
Cook for a further 5-10 minutes.
Remember to fish out the cardamom pods before serving!
Suitable for freezing.
Alternatives: Use any combination of seasonal vegetables - frozen veg work fine too.
Use 2 tbsp of medium curry paste if you don't have the dried spices available.