This lightly spiced aubergine chutney goes well with salads, barbecued food, quiches and cheese.
- 2 large aubergines, diced
- 2 large red onions, diced
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g/8oz soft brown sugar
- 250ml/ ½ pint white wine vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic/1 tbsp garlic paste
- 4 tsp fresh grated ginger/ 1 tbsp ginger paste
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes/hot chilli sauce/fresh chopped chilli
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp black mustard seeds
- Black pepper and salt to season
Add the mustard seeds, onion and aubergine, and cook gently for 5-10 minutes, or until the aubergine is soft.
Add the garlic, ginger and remaining spices and stir.
Add the sugar and vinegar.
Bring to the boil, stirring regularly.
Simmer for about 30-40 minutes, stirring from time to time, until the liquid has reduced by half.
Spoon into sterilised jars, top with a lid.
Keep for up to 6 months in a cool, dark cupboard.
Fills 2 small or 1 large jar.
Alternatives: Double the recipe and/or bulk out the aubergine with other seasonal fruits such as bell peppers, squash and courgettes/zucchini. Pin It