Saturday 12 October 2013

Goat's Cheese and Caramelised Onion Pizza

©
This is my version of my favourite Padana pizza from Pizza Express. I've made a few tweaks, such as substituting spinach for rocket and leaving off the red onions and mozzarella, but I think it compares pretty well to the original and is substantially cheaper!

  • ½ quantity basic bread dough 
  • 1 large onion, finely sliced
  • 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 3 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
  • 100g/4oz soft goat's cheese, roughly chopped
  • A few fresh basil leaves torn roughly
  • A handful of rocket/arugula leaves 
Make the dough and divide in half once it has proved for an hour or so (use the other half to make another pizza of your choice!)

Meanwhile make the caramelised onions: 
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a non-stick frying pan. 
Sweat the onion with the lid on for 5 minutes, on a low heat, until soft.
Remove the pan lid, raise the heat and cook the onion for a further 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it turns a dark golden brown. 
Turn the heat off and stir in the sugar; then add the vinegar. 
Allow to reduce in the pan until most of the moisture has evaporated.

Flatten out the dough on a greased baking sheet to form a large circle (about 10"-12" in diameter.)
Spread with the sun-dried tomato paste.
Shred a few basil leaves over and top with little piles of the caramelised onions. 
Sprinkle with the goat's cheese.

Bake in a pre-heated oven at 220C/200C Fan/Gas 8/450F for approximately 8-12 minutes.
After 5 minutes, check on the pizza and spread out the goat's cheese slightly. Return to the oven and bake until the pizza base and cheese start to brown.

Remove from the oven and top with a handful of rocket/arugula leaves.

Serve with corn on the cob or salad.
Link up your recipe of the week
Vegan alternative: I found this recipe for tofu/cashew 'goat's cheese' over at Vegan Feast Kitchen, which looks like a good substitute for the dairy cheese. Alternatively try Bute Island Blue Sheese.

I've added this post to Emily's  #recipeoftheweek linky over at A Mummy Too.

Pin It



15 comments:

  1. Do you have a recipe for sun-dried tomato paste? Is it just sun-dried tomatoes or is it mixed with oïl...?
    This looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I buy it ready-made in a tube. Just checked the ingredients and it contains sun-dried tomatoes, oil, vinegar, garlic, chilli, oregano and capers.

      Delete
  2. I love this pizza from Pizza Express and yours looks wonderful. Now I desperately want pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum, I can't resist anything with goat's cheee, nor can I resist any pizza. So this is a winner for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, this looks amazing. I'm the only veggie in the family but I know they'd all eat this.

    If you'd like, I'd love you to pop over and link this up to my weekly food linky, #recipeoftheweek. I'd love to get more veggie mains on there. You'll find it under 'Food' on my menu bar x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay. Pinned and stumbled! Thanks so much for linking up to #recipeoftheweek. There's a new linky live now, so I do hope you'll pop over and join in :)

      Delete
  5. This looks so good! I love goats cheese; my husband isn't a fan, so I'd happy have this all to myself :)

    (Resend as spelling error.. :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I come on? ;-)
    I guess the price of the plane ticket is too high... I will have to do it myself instead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, better than Pizza Express equivalent!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...