Wednesday 5 September 2012

The Great British Bake Off - My daughter's first ever Tarte Tatin

Last week on the Great British Bake Off, the contenstants made their own rough puff pastry for a Tarte Tatin. I vaguely remember making rough puff pastry in home economics at school many years ago, and have never attempted it again since. I'm not a big pastry maker (or eater), but those tartes looked so delicious that I thought I might have a go. However, 13 year old Miss Only, decided she wanted to make one, and who was I to turn down such an offer? 

She used Sarah-Jane's Banana Tarte Tatin recipe, but swapped the bananas for apples...

Despite never having made pastry before, she found that the rough puff pastry was actually quite easy to make, with the help of a food processor. The caramel sauce was a different matter though, as the first batch didn't work - the butter didn't mix in with the caramel at all (when she swirled the pan as directed), so she took a spoon to the mixture and ended up with butterscotch! For the second batch, I suggested she melted the butter with the sugar and water before bringing it up to the boil and this worked much better.

I think the oven temperature needed to be a bit hotter than the recipe stated, as although she cooked the tarte for the recommended time, the apples released quite a lot of juice, which didn't 
evaporate, leaving the middle of the pastry slightly soggy. None-the-less, it tasted great and the grandparents were most impressed! 

This week's GBBO featured crème caramel, meringues and tortes - all of which sounded a bit too faffy to make, so we'll wait for next week and see whether to attempt another challenge then! Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Oooh wow it looks very yummy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well congratulations to her! It sounds very delicious and really nice that she was willing to try and make this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you both. I'm hoping she'll be cooking some more GBBO recipes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think she did a remarkable job! It looks very yummy and I would sure enjoy it! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous!
    It's wonderful to see our kids cook.
    I would have enjoy this tarte Tatin with pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes I agree that teaching our kids to cook is very important.

      Delete
  6. A big well done! Isn't it great how the GBBO is inspiring so many people :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a lovely programme, and one of the few that all 3 generations of my family all enjoy watching and discussing afterwards!

      Delete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...