- 200g/8oz vegetarian mince (I used Quorn) - defrosted if frozen
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (about 100g/4oz)
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 large onion finely chopped or grated
- 1 large clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped/1 tsp chilli paste, optional
- 3 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
Fry the spices with the onion and garlic on a low heat for a few minutes, until the onion is soft.
Remove from the heat.
Add the onion mixture to the veggie mince.
Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
Chill for 30 minutes to firm up.
Form into 8-12 small sausage or burger shapes, pressing the mixture together with your hands.
Shallow fry in a drop of oil until golden brown, or brush with oil and grill or bbq.
Serve with spicy pilau rice, or in bread rolls, chapattis or wraps...they taste great with a good dollup of tomato ketchup!
Alternatives: Add 1-2 tbsp of your favourite curry paste instead of the spices/chilli if preferred.
I haven't tried making a vegan version yet, but you would need to swap the egg for something that would help bind the mixture together (maybe arrowroot?). If you find one that works, please let me know!
Not suitable for freezing. Pin It