Saturday 22 January 2011

Tasty Tofu - part 4, The finale!

Image © Onykahonie
If you've been following my  tasty tofu quest you'll know that I had a complete tofu disaster followed by a moderate success with Thai Tofu Cakes, but I still hadn't managed to cook the kind of tofu that I like to eat in restaurants.

I concluded that I needed to try a different brand of tofu, so despite the lack of Chinese supermarkets in my area, I managed to track down some rather unappetisingly named Clear Spot (yes, really!) Organic Tofu in a local health food store.

On opening the packet, I was slightly scared...the tofu looked and felt softer than Cauldron's. I drained the tofu and and blotted it well on kitchen roll to remove as much moisture as possible, and then cut it into pieces. From my in depth tofutastic research, I had deduced that I first needed to marinate it and then fry it, so I made up a marinade of dark soya sauce, grated fresh ginger and crushed garlic. I also made up a basic batter with plain flour, egg and water.

After an hour bathing in the marinade (the tofu, not me!) I dipped the bean curd chunks into the batter and fried them for a few minutes in hot vegetable oil. They sizzled gently and turned a beautiful golden brown. I scooped them out and drained them well, before tentatively biting into a piece. The kids were slightly wary, but after some gentle persuasion and the promise of another mention on my blog, they tried it. Mr O showed no such trepidation and ate a whole piece in one mouthful.

And the result...whoo-hoo...everyone liked it!!! TASTY TOFU - crisp and tanned on the outside, pale and soft in the middle, and packed full of flavour! My tasty tofu quest is over (for now).

The recipe

Take a small block of firm tofu, drained, patted dry and cut into chunks. Marinade for 1 hour in: 
  • 2-3 tbsp dark soya sauce
  • 1 small clove of garlic, crushed
  • 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
Then dip into a batter made with:
  • Heaped ½ cup plain flour
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • ½ cup cold water
Fry in hot vegetable oil until golden brown, then drain on paper towel.
Serve with rice/noodles, stir-fried vegetables and a sweet chilli dipping sauce.


Alternative: Veganise the batter by omitting the egg.

Image © Onykahonie Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Love your quest for tasty tofu...it's a funny old thing! This does sound yummy! I marinade mine in soy sauce and then bake in the oven until it resembles tofu jerky!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried Taifun's Basil tofu...it's a big hit with all my kids and is a good fast food as you don't need to marinade it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's how you do it! I always wondered, thanks :) I buy clearspot smoked tofu all the time but i just end up eating slabs of it as a snack or on salad...
    Oh yes Christine reminded me of a tofu with almonds in I used to get that you could just slice and eat. Bit like cheese. YUM.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...