Saturday, 22 January 2011

Tasty Tofu - part 4, The finale!

Image © Onykahonie
If you've been following my  tasty tofu quest you'll know that I had a complete tofu disaster followed by a moderate success with Thai Tofu Cakes, but I still hadn't managed to cook the kind of tofu that I like to eat in restaurants.

I concluded that I needed to try a different brand of tofu, so despite the lack of Chinese supermarkets in my area, I managed to track down some rather unappetisingly named Clear Spot (yes, really!) Organic Tofu in a local health food store.

On opening the packet, I was slightly scared...the tofu looked and felt softer than Cauldron's. I drained the tofu and and blotted it well on kitchen roll to remove as much moisture as possible, and then cut it into pieces. From my in depth tofutastic research, I had deduced that I first needed to marinate it and then fry it, so I made up a marinade of dark soya sauce, grated fresh ginger and crushed garlic. I also made up a basic batter with plain flour, egg and water.

After an hour bathing in the marinade (the tofu, not me!) I dipped the bean curd chunks into the batter and fried them for a few minutes in hot vegetable oil. They sizzled gently and turned a beautiful golden brown. I scooped them out and drained them well, before tentatively biting into a piece. The kids were slightly wary, but after some gentle persuasion and the promise of another mention on my blog, they tried it. Mr O showed no such trepidation and ate a whole piece in one mouthful.

And the result...whoo-hoo...everyone liked it!!! TASTY TOFU - crisp and tanned on the outside, pale and soft in the middle, and packed full of flavour! My tasty tofu quest is over (for now).

The recipe

Take a small block of firm tofu, drained, patted dry and cut into chunks. Marinade for 1 hour in: 
  • 2-3 tbsp dark soya sauce
  • 1 small clove of garlic, crushed
  • 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
Then dip into a batter made with:
  • Heaped ½ cup plain flour
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • ½ cup cold water
Fry in hot vegetable oil until golden brown, then drain on paper towel.
Serve with rice/noodles, stir-fried vegetables and a sweet chilli dipping sauce.


Alternative: Veganise the batter by omitting the egg.

Image © Onykahonie Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Love your quest for tasty tofu...it's a funny old thing! This does sound yummy! I marinade mine in soy sauce and then bake in the oven until it resembles tofu jerky!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried Taifun's Basil tofu...it's a big hit with all my kids and is a good fast food as you don't need to marinade it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's how you do it! I always wondered, thanks :) I buy clearspot smoked tofu all the time but i just end up eating slabs of it as a snack or on salad...
    Oh yes Christine reminded me of a tofu with almonds in I used to get that you could just slice and eat. Bit like cheese. YUM.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks very much for your comment. It will be visible after approval.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...