Thursday 13 November 2014

Turkish Beans with Lemon & Herbs

Turkish Beans with Lemon & Herbs
After cooking my meat-free Coq au Vin, I had plenty of carrots, celery and parsley left, so I came up with this Turkish-inspired recipe. I used 2 lemons the first time I made it, which Mr O and I loved, but the girls said it was too lemony; so I cooked it with just one lemon second time around, which they preferred.

Serves 2-3 as a main course, 4-6 as a side dish.
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced finely
  • 100g/4oz green beans, sliced in 2-3cm pieces
  • 2 medium carrots, diced
  • 2 sticks of celery, de-stringed and sliced 
  • 2 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped or crushed
  • 1 tin of chickpeas/garbanzo beans or other pulses, drained and rinsed
  • 1 green chilli, finely sliced or chopped
  • Juice and zest of 1 or 2 lemons (depending on how lemony you like your food!)
  • 100ml/4floz vegetable stock
  • 2 tbsp chopped, fresh parsley
  • 2 tsp chopped, fresh dill
Heat the oil in a large pan, on a medium heat.
Add the onion and garlic and cook gently for a few minutes, then add the carrots, celery and green beans. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
Add the stock, chilli and herbs and stir.
Cover and simmer on a low-medium heat for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are almost cooked. Add the lemon juice and zest along with the tinned pulses.
Cover and cook for a further 5-10 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
Serve hot, warm or cold (as a salad).

I'm linking this post up to the this month's Extra Veg Challenge, created by Fuss Free Flavours and Utterly Scrummy. 
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I'd love to try this out sometime. I can already imagine the flavor when you said you added lemon.

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really wholesome and delicious - I'll keep it bookmarked! I went on holiday to rural Turkey this year and the locals really do make some of the freshest, seasonal food.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...