Wednesday 2 April 2014

Aloo Tikki

Aloo tikki are small, spicy potato and pea croquettes.These traditional Indian snacks are delicious eaten hot or cold with chutneys or mint sauce and also make a great an addition to an Indian buffet. They're really cheap to make and are vegan too. I added sweet potato to mine, to ring the changes.

Makes 12/Serves 4
  • 2-3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 1 small onion, grated
  • 1 large clove of garlic, crushed
  • 1 heaped tsp freshly grated ginger
  • ½ tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp garam masala or chaat masala
  • 1 tsp finely chopped fresh chilli
  • ½ tsp turmeric
  • a handful of frozen petit pois or peas
  • 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
  • 1 slice of wholemeal bread, made into breadcrumbs
  • a few slices of (ready-made) melba toast crushed into breadcrumbs (or fine/panko breadcrumbs)
  • vegetable oil
Boil the potatoes for around 15 minutes, until soft. Drain and mash.
Meanwhile heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a pan on a medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and fry for minute. 
Add the onion, ginger, garlic and the rest of the spices and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
Mix in the mashed potatoes, petit pois and chopped coriander, plus enough fresh breadcrumbs to bind and make a dough-like consistency.
Shape into slightly flattened balls using your hands and roll in the dried breadcrumbs. 
Leave in the fridge for 10 minutes or so, to firm up.

Heat a further tbsp of oil in a large frying pan. 
Fry the aloo tikki for 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
Keep warm in the oven and repeat until all of the croquettes have been cooked.

Serve with salad, chutneys or mint sauce.

Suitable for freezing (before or after frying).

Alternatives: Make large, flat tikkis and serve them in buns like veggie burgers.
Bake on a greased baking tray (in a hot oven) for a low-fat version.

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. I love eating aloo tikki, i leave it for my sister in law to make it for me rather than attempt it myself, she dips her tikki's in chickpea batter and deep fries them - yeph. So its a treat when I eat it Like your healthier version, which I would consider making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen. I love the ones dipped in batter and deep fried, but I think the bread-crumbed version still taste pretty good. You could even bake them if you wanted a low-fat version.

      Delete
  2. I love sweet potatoes!! I've actually tried these before and have been eating them whenever I can. Hahah

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love sweet potatoes too. These rest of the family aren't as keen, so I tend to mix them with other veg.

      Delete
  3. Hi Lisa, lovely to see this healthier recipe and so perfectly reminding me of the season of picnics and outdoor eating. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deena. I hadn't thought of them as picnic food, but they would work well :-)

      Delete
  4. Great - I'm always eager for vegan recipes. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...