Friday 8 March 2013

Grasmere Gingerbread

pieces of Grasmere Gingerbread on a plate

Many years ago, I visited Grasmere on a school trip, and remember spending some of my pocket money on Grasmere gingerbread. We were all given a recipe when we were back at school and made some in Home Economics. If you've never tasted Grasmere gingerbread before, it's like an oaty, ginger shortbread and is easily vegan-ised!

I've lost my original recipe, so I tweaked one from Jane Grigson's English Food
  • 6oz/150g SR flour
  • 4oz/100g fine oatmeal (or porridge oats)
  • 6oz/150g soft brown sugar
  • 6oz/150g butter/dairy-free spread
  • 1-2 tsp ground ginger
Pre-heat oven to 180C/170C Fan/Gas 4/350F.
If using porridge oats, whiz in the food processor for a few seconds to make them finer.
Mix all of the dried ingredients together.
Rub in the butter/spread or mix in the food processor - the resulting mixture should be fairly dry and will look something like the Sahara desert - don't worry, it will stick together as it cooks!
Tip the mixture into a well greased baking tray (25x30cm) and press down firmly with the back of a spoon.

Bake for approx. 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from the oven and mark into pieces with a sharp knife. 
Allow to cool fully in the tray before removing and breaking up.

Suitable for freezing.
.
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. [ Smiles ] Thanks for sharing the Grasmere Gingerbread recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Grasmere gingerbread - I always buy loads of it when I go there, thinking it will last me for ages but then start eating it and can never stop - it's so delicious and incredibly moreish! And now I've got the recipe - THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katharine, let me know how it compares to the real thing!

      Delete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...