Thursday 21 March 2013

Antipasti Pesto

Bowl of pasta with home made pesto
©
Here's my entry for this month's Pasta Please challenge. Inspired by last month's entries (in particular this one from Jen at Little Birdie) and this month's theme, I thought I'd have a go at making my own pesto; no home made pasta just yet though!
  • 2oz/50g chargrilled peppers in oil, drained and roughly chopped
  • 2oz/50g sundried tomatoes in oil, drained and roughly chopped
  • 4 tbsp oil from the antipasti jar, or olive oil
  • 1 large clove of garlic, crushed
  • 2 tbsp pine nuts
  • 2 tbsp Parmesan-style cheese, grated (omit or substitute for vegan version)
  • A handful of fresh chopped basil
  • 1 tsp chopped red chilli
  • 500g dried pasta
©
Put the chopped peppers, tomatoes and oil in a liquidiser/blender and whizz on a low speed. Stir and blend again. 
Add the pine nuts, cheese, garlic, chilli and basil and blend again until thick and fairly smooth.
Cook the pasta as directed and drain, leaving a little of the cooking water in the pan. Return the pasta to the pan and stir in the pesto to warm through. 
Serve topped with a little more grated cheese or a sprinkle of pine nuts.


This pesto would also work well spread on a pizza base or as a bruschetta topping.

I'm linking this post into the 3rd Pasta Please challenge hosted by Jen at Blue Kitchen Bakes and Jac at Tinned Tomatoes.

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Looks really lovely Lisa! I think homemade pesto is one of my favourite things ever. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that! Perfect of a friday night... like tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes it makes a good Friday night meal, with garlic bread, salad...and a glass of wine!

      Delete
  3. Mmmmmm, lovely Lisa. Comfort food at it's best. I'll be right round!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious with the tangy sundried tomatoes. I quite often buy jars of red pesto instead of green but now I know how to make my own. Thanks for entering this into Pasta Please.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...