- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable stock, made with 1 stock cube
- ¼ cup dried red lentils
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tin beans, drained and rinsed - I used mixed beans but you could use any type
- 2 tsp fresh chopped coriander
- a little hot chilli sauce, to taste
At this point you can blend the soup (I used my tried and tested Optimum 9400 blender) and then add the beans, or vice versa, or don't blend at all!
Return the the soup to the pan for a further couple of minutes to heat the beans through before serving.
Season with hot chilli sauce to taste and sprinkle with the coriander leaves.
Serve with warm home-made bread.
I'm entering this recipe to this month's No Croutons Required Challenge, co-hosted by Jacqui at Tinned Tomatoes and Lisa at Lisa's Kitchen.
I'm also adding it to this month's Credit Crunch Munch, created by Helen and Camilla and hosted this month by Hannah at A New Addition