Sunday 22 December 2013

Carrot, Parsnip and Nut Roast (Vegan)

carrot parsnip and nut roast in a loaf tin
©
Here's this year's twist on my traditional Christmas nut roast recipeAs I've seen so many mentions of Delia's Parsnip Roulade this year, I added parsnip, sage and carrot to make a moist and tasty vegan loaf. It takes about 10 minutes to prepare and is very economical - it cost me around £3 to make. 

Serve with all the traditional roast dinner trimmings plus a vegetarian gravy

n.b. I made this loaf yesterday and have frozen it uncooked to defrost and reheat for Christmas dinner (see picture). Once cooked it should be golden brown in colour. 

Serves 4
  • 1 medium onion, peeled and grated
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 small parsnip, peeled, cored and grated
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
  • 175g/7oz mixed nuts (I used a mixture of Brazil nuts, almonds, cashews, walnuts and hazelnuts - no peanuts), ground in a food processor
  • 2 slices of wholemeal bread, made into breadcrumbs
  • 150ml (approx) vegetable stock
  • 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh herbs (I used sage and parsley)
Gently fry the onion in 1 tbsp olive oil, until soft. Then add the carrot and parsnip. 
Cook for 5 minutes on a medium heat, until softened, stirring regularly.
Stir in the nuts and breadcrumbs and mix well.
Add the herbs and season to taste.
Add enough stock to make a firm but not dry mixture. Add more breadcrumbs or stock if needed.
Tip mixture into a greased and lined loaf tin and press down with the back of a spoon.
Cover tin with foil  and bake for 40 mins at 180C/170C Fan/350F/Gas 4.
Uncover for the last 10-15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before turning out and slicing. 

vegetarian Christmas dinner with nut roast
©
Refrigerate any left overs and use cold in sandwiches or as a pate.

Suitable for freezing before or after cooking.

Alternative: To make the loaf go further, simply make up an 225g/8oz pack of your preferred vegetarian stuffing mix. Press half of the nut roast mixture into the loaf tin and then spread the stuffing mixture on top. Cover with the remaining nut roast and press down firmly with the back of a spoon. Bake as above, but for an extra 10 minutes.
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful! I already have my xmas menu planned- but I'll make this AFTER the festivities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a great roast. I do not use parsnip very often; here is a good reason to have some.
    Thank you!
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this 2 days ago and it was delicious!!

    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to making it. I have stuffing mix to add and thus recipe is just what I was looking for. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks and sounds delicious. Is there a favourite sauce or gravy you have that would go well with it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. I like a good, old-fashioned Bisto gravy (the original powder is vegan) and cranberry sauce with it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...