Friday 30 August 2013

Quorn Souvlaki

Vegetarian souvlaki skewers

Having just come back from a fantastic family holiday on Zakynthos, I thought I'd try and recreate a vegetarian version of Mr O's favourite Greek meal - chicken souvlaki. I used Quorn fillets for this recipe, but you could swap them for a vegan alternative if preferred.

Serves 4
  • 4 Quorn fillets
  • 2 large bell peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
  • 1 onion, peeled, quartered and separated into layers
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • 2 tbsp olive oil 
  • 4 skewers (soak in water if wooden)
Allow the Quorn fillets to defrost for an hour or 2 in the fridge. 
Cut into 1" chunks (I cut the Quorn fillets into 6 pieces each).
Mix the oil, lemon juice and oregano in a bowl.
Add the Quorn and stir to coat, then add the vegetables and stir again. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for a further hour to marinate.
Wrap in foil and cook on the bbq for around 10 minutes, turning occasionally, or bake in the oven at 180C/170C fan/Gas 4/350F. Open foil and allow to brown slightly for a further 5 minutes.

Serve in warmed pittas with a dollop of tzatziki for a lunch (gyros) or with Greek rice or potatoes as a main meal.
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    We finally got around to trying this recipe today (a bit late I know...)
    I couldn't find unflavoured Quorn fillets in Sainsbury's (even though they are still listed on the Quorn website). We used the plain Quorn pieces which tasted fine, but were a bit small.
    Do you know if the plain frozen fillets are still available? Or do you think the chicken-y ones would work here? My husband isn't mad on flavoured Quorn :-(
    Great recipe, it went down well, thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Thanks for your comment. So glad you liked the recipe :-)
      I think I got my Quorn fillets from ASDA. I just checked on their website and they're in stock, and are now vegan.

      Delete
  2. Quorn Pieces is just perfect for this recipe! Worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find them too small to thread on the skewers!

      Delete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...