Although I now love fresh pineapple, I hadn't thought of putting it in a sandwich; I came up with this simple veggie/vegan wrap combo after being inspired by a similar meat-based dish on Closet Cooking. I wasn't sure if the flavours would work with a meat substitute, but they really do. Coincidentally, Ephee has recently blogged an alternative vegan version over on her amazing blog: L'éphémère quotidienneté des repas et autres trucs de magie.
These quesadillas are really quick and easy to make, so are great for lunches and camping trips.
- 4 slices of vegetarian/vegan bacon/ham, cooked if preferred and chopped
- 2-4 thin slices of pineapple (fresh is best, but tinned will do), chopped
- 2 tbsp pickled jalapenos, chopped (optional)
- 200g/8oz mozzarella/cheddar/vegan melting cheese
- 4 tbsp tomato puree/tomato salsa/bbq sauce
- 4 tortilla wraps
Spread half of each tortilla with a spoonful of tomato puree or your preferred alternative.
Divide the remaining ingredients between each wrap.
Fold the wraps in half and heat through until the cheese has melted, either in a hot pan or in a panini press/grill.
Slice into wedges and serve with salad.