Tuesday 7 February 2012

Vegan Victoria Sponge Cake

©
This was a bit of an experiment for me, as I've tried a few vegan sponge cake recipes in the past, and they've all sunk horribly in the middle after cooling; Despite tasting good, they didn't look great.
I wanted to make a sponge that didn't use egg-replacer, or other fancy ingredients, but still looked and tasted like real sponge cake!  As you can see it turned out pretty well, although the texture was more chewy than a regular sponge cake.
  • 100g/4oz dairy free spread
  • 150g/6oz caster sugar
  • 200g/8oz SR flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 200ml/8 floz Provamel sweetened almond milk or equivalent 
©
Preheat oven to 180C/170C Fan/Gas 4
Grease and line two 7"/20cm sandwich tins.
Cream the spread and sugar until soft and then beat in 3 tbsp of the milk.
Add the remaining milk, flour, vanilla and baking powder and beat until smooth.
Divide mixture between the two tins.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
Cool in the tin for 2-3 minutes before turning out and removing the greaseproof paper.
Sandwich together with vegan butter icing and jam (jelly) when cool, and sprinkle the top with caster sugar.

Vegan butter icing

  • 2 tbsp dairy free spread
  • 75g/3oz icing sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Soften the spread.
Mix in the vanilla.
Beat in the icing sugar gradually, adding a little boiled water if needed to make a soft, spreadable mixture.

Alternatives:
If you have a nut allergy sufferer in the family, just swap the almond milk for a suitable nut-free alternative.
Swap the vanilla for lemon zest to make a lemon cake, 1 tsp coffee granules mixed with 2 tsp boiling water for a coffee cake, or swap 25g/1oz of the flour for unsweetened cocoa powder to make a chocolate cake.
Try this recipe if you have egg-replacer available.


Pin It

12 comments:

  1. That came out beautifully! The vegan cakes I've tried always seem to be lovely and moist, but I've not had a go at baking one myself yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Louise. I've tried various recipes, but this is my best attempt so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing ! :D would it still work with unsweetend almond milk ? Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica, I don't see why not. You might also like my vegan cupcake recipe (see recipe index)

      Delete
  4. This is the first vegan cake I've made that has actually tasted like a cake! I had it without the buttercream and with some fake custard, delicious! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosanna...do try my vegan fairy cakes too.

      Delete
  5. I'm eyeing up the chocolate tiffin first : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, actually I think I would too...or the chocolate cornflake cakes!

      Delete
  6. I like your sponge. Most people do not show the inside of their vegan cakes...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My brother has a dairy and egg allergy which meant that he never really had a birthday cake until I discovered this recipe.
    Now I make one for him on a weekly basis and an extra special one for his birthday. (This year it's an emoji cake! 😎)
    The recipe is simple and I would recommend it to anyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Immorura, I'm so glad to hear that you and your brother like the recipe :-)

      Delete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...