- 1 or 2 vegetarian sausages per person
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2-4 carrots, sliced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 sticks celery or ½ bulb fennel, sliced
- 1 tbsp plain flour/cornflour
- 250ml cider
- 250ml stock made with boiling water and 1 veggie stock cube
- 1 heaped tsp tomato puree
- ½ tsp of dried mixed herbs
- Black pepper
- 1 or 2 cooking apples peeled, cored and quartered (optional)
Meanwhile, gently cook the onions in a pan with some olive oil, until soft. Then throw in the carrots, pepper and celery/fennel and cook for a further 3-5 minutes.
Add the flour and stir well.
Add the hot stock and the cider (or extra stock).
Bring to the boil, stirring regularly.
Pour the sauce over the sausages. Cook for 30 minutes.
If using, add the apple quarters and coat in the sauce. return to the oven for a further 10-15 minutes, or until the apples and vegetables are soft.
Serve with roast potatoes or mash.
Slow cooker method: Put all the veg and apples in the bottom of the slow cooker (add potatoes too if you want a one pot meal). Brown the sausages and place on top of the veg.
Mix the cornflour with the cider, (cold) stock and remaining ingredients and pour into the crockpot/slowcooker. Cook on slow/low for 8 hours. Pin It