This tastes almost identical to the original, but does tend to go stale a little quicker, so it's best eaten within 2 days of making. It's very cheap to make and is a good way to use up leftover stale bread.
Makes 12-16 pieces
- 250g/10oz stale bread (a couple of days old)
- 75g/3oz soft brown sugar
- 275ml/½ pt cold water or dairy-free milk
- 2 tsp Orgran egg replacer or similar binder (corn flour would probably work)
- 100g/4oz dried fruit
- ½ tsp mixed spice plus ½ tsp ground cinnamon (or more, to taste)
- 2 tsp Demerara sugar to sprinkle
Add the cold water/milk and mix well.
Serve warm or cold.
Suitable for freezing.