Friday 16 September 2011

Mini Spinach and Feta Pies (Easy Spanakopita)

©
My family loves Greek food (and Greek holidays) so I'm always on the look out for new Greek vegetarian recipes to try out. When I saw a recipe for halloumi cheese pie on Eftychia's Dream of Cakes blog, I was intrigued, as this was a recipe I hadn't heard of before.

I decided to try it out as part of a meze, which also included spinach and feta pies (see below), falafels, hummus, tzatziki and salad. I halved the recipe, and made it without the pastry case to make small individual  pies. I also swapped the mint for a combination of parsley and dill, as my children aren't keen on the taste of mint. Unfortunately the mini pies stuck to the greased muffin tin, so next time I'll make them with pastry, like the original recipe states. They tasted great though and went down really well with my halloumi-loving family.

This spinach and cheese pie recipe isn't wholly authentic, but it's my own quick-to-make adaptation of spanakopita.
  • 1 pack puff pastry/shortcrust pastry (or make your own)
  • 200g feta cheese
  • 150g fresh spinach, washed
  • 2 eggs
  • 100ml Greek yogurt
  • black pepper to taste
  • ½ tsp dried oregano (or use fresh chopped parsley/dill)
  • ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
Roll out the pastry.
Cut circles out of the pastry (using a cookie/pastry cutter) and pop them into a greased muffin tin - press pastry down into the bottom of the tin.
Put the spinach in a bowl, cover with cling film and microwave for 2 minutes on high.
Allow to cool for a few minutes, drain off the excess water and squeeze out the remaining water (wrap in a few layers of kitchen towel and squeeze with your hands), so it's as dry as possible.
Chop the spinach.
Mash the feta in another bowl, stir in the remaining ingredients and mix well.
Spoon the mixture into each of the pastry cases, filling almost to the top.
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200C/190C Fan/Gas 6 for around 15-20 minutes, or until the pies are golden brown.
Serve warm or cold.

Recipe ShedSuitable for freezing.

Alternatives
Cut out 4-5 layers of filo pastry, brushed with butter for more traditional pies.
Make one large pie if preferred and cook for an extra 10 minutes.

Recommended cookbooks
The Greek Vegetarian
Greek Vegetarian Cooking

This week's recipe shed linky is on a vegetarian theme, so be sure to check out all the other lovely recipes on Reluctant Housedad's blog.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. A perfect meal if you ask me. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely, simple and delicious. I love feta. Thanks for joining in the Recipe Shed this week. Please come again. Next week's theme is SPICES

    ReplyDelete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...