Friday 11 February 2011

World book day - Part 1

Here's a random post alert. Nothing to do with food or cooking, or vegetarianism.

I love books...and reading. I've read to my kids since they were tiny babies, and they now share my love of all things literary. They've read all of my favourite childhood books from  Enid Blyton's Mallory Towers, to Roald Dahl's Magic Finger and we've discovered reams of new books by some fantastic authors along the way...Julia Donaldson, Lynley Dodd, J.K.Rowling, Lemony Snicket to name but four.

So why do the words World Book Day strike fear into my heart? Yep, you guessed it...that means I have to find/make/borrow/buy a book-related outfit for one or more of the children to wear to school.

Now, in most normal households this seems to involve the daughter announcing she wants to be a princess (plenty of them in fairy tales) or maybe  a ballerina (not necessarily related to a particular book, but who cares?) and the mum popping to ADSA to buy an off the peg number, or the child wearing the dance outfit that she already owns. Nothing wrong in that, but it just doesn't happen like that in our house!

When this year's letter from school arrived via Miss Kahonie, the discussions began...

Me "So how about being a ballerina?" (worth a try!)
Miss K "Nooo!"
Me "How about Violet Baudelaire (from the Series of Unfortunate Events)" Miss Ony dressed up as her last year, so we already have an outfit which would fit!
Miss K "No way!"
Me "What's your favourite book at the moment, then?"

Miss K "Megastar Mysteries"
Me "And what does your favourite character wear?"

Miss K "Well, just normal clothes, like jeans and a top."
Me "Fantastic, so you can wear your normal clothes, and we're sorted."
Miss K "But I don't want to wear normal clothes."
Me "Well, who do you want to dress up as?"
Miss K "Erm, how about Amy from Little Women?"
Me "What does she wear?"
Miss K "Hang on a minute" (she disappears into her bedroom and returns with a book clutched in her hand) "A long, old fashioned pink dress with frills round the bottom."

The Things Kids DoSo tell me, where does one find an old fashioned dress with frills (I'm thinking charity shops, freegle to start with)?
My search begins!

Read part 2 here.

Link up with The Things Kids Do blog hop. Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Queen of the Underworld is much more up my street than Amy from Little Women!
    Glad it all turned out good in the end and thanks for linking.
    I am working on my first, latest and favourite post. Should be ready to post soonish. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...