Tuesday, 30 June 2015

Ocado: Vegetarian Grocery Shopping Online - A Review

 Ocado
This year, Ocado won the award for Best Online Retailer for Vegetarians and have since launched their brand new Vegetarian Shop, based on feedback from customers. As I do most of my food shopping online, I was eager to test this out, as one of my pet peeves is that a search for vegetarian or vegan will often bring up the most obvious foods (like Quorn and dairy-free milk), not the necessarily ones you're looking for.

The new Ocado vegetarian shop categorises products by eating occasion and food type, making it easy to browse for meat-free alternatives, filled pasta and deli products, plus of course cheeses, store cupboard ingredients and even raw foods. There's also a wine category, which is useful, as animal by-products in wines are often something that people forget about, especially when entertaining vegetarian and vegan guests. As well as the dedicated veggie shop, each product is clearly labelled with a v for vegetarian...including toiletries. An extra symbol for vegans would be great, but it's quite easy to search for vegan products, as there's also a vegan check box in the search menu.

I recently tried out the new vegetarian categories and was amazed to find the wide range of products available, which I might not have found if I just shopped through my favourites list and special offers, as I normally do. In the meat substitute section, there were 30 different types of veggie sausage and 25 varieties of burger alone...that's far more choice than most supermarkets can offer in store. My only real criticism is that if you don't know where to find the vegetarian shop section, as it's not that easy to locate (you need to click on World Foods & Free From first and then select Vegetarian.)

By using some of the many special offers available and selecting Ocado's own brand products, my weekly shop cost almost exactly the same as it would from the other major online supermarkets, so that dispels the myth that Ocado are much more pricey than their competitors. 

Of course, the after-sales emails and delivery were both up to their usual standard. I particularly liked the email telling me the name of my delivery driver and which van they'd be driving. Ocado also pack their bags well, which makes it so much quicker to put the shopping away, when all of the frozen and chilled products are packed together. Without wishing to sound snobby, Ocado delivery drivers are a cut above the rest, which is probably down to better training in customer service. 
When it comes to quality, all of my fruit, veg and chilled products were well within their use-by dates and of a good quality. I would definitely recommend Ocado to my fellow veggies, as it makes online shopping so much more simple.

Integrity Statement
I received a complimentary shop with Ocado for the purpose of this review. All views expressed are genuine.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks very much for your comment. I love hearing your opinions, so please rest assured that genuine comments and competition entries will be visible after approval. This may take 24-48 hours, depending on how hectic my work/home life is at the time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...