|Image © Onykahonie|
Most whoopie pie recipes seem to show a double iced pie (with butter icing in the middle and glace icing on the top) but I think that's a bit excessive, so I just sprinkled the tops with icing sugar!
- 100g/4oz dairy free margarine or unsalted butter, softened
- 175g/6oz soft brown sugar
- 350g/12oz self raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 free range or organic egg (or the equivalent using egg replacer)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125ml/4fl oz organic whole milk (or buttermilk/soya/rice milk)
Cream the butter and sugar together, then beat in the egg.
Add the vanilla essence to the milk.
Pour the milk into the bowl, followed by the flour and the bicarb.
Mix on a low speed until just combined.Spoon dessert spoonfuls of the mixture (well spaced out) on to the baking trays.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch.
Jammy Butter Icing/Frosting
- 50g/2oz dairy free margarine/unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tbsp seedless jam - I used strawberry
- 250g/6oz icing sugar
- 1-2 tsp boiling water
Take the whoopies out of the oven, allow cool for a minute and then carefully remove from the tray (with a spatula/fish slice) and place on a wire rack to cool.
Once cooled, generously spread with the filling and sandwich together.
Suitable for freezing.
Alternatives: There are as many flavour variations as you can think of!
- Chocolate whoopie pies with chocolate filling - Pies: Swap 50g of the flour for sieved cocoa, add an extra 1 tbsp milk. Filling: Swap the jam for Nutella/chocolate spread and a teaspoonful of sieved cocoa.
- Chocolate whoopie pies with peanut butter filling - Pies: Swap 50g of the flour for sieved cocoa, add an extra 1 tbsp milk. Filling: Swap the jam for smooth peanut butter.
- Chocolate whoopie pies with vanilla filling - Pies: Swap 50g of the flour for sieved cocoa, add an extra 1 tbsp milk. Filling: Swap the jam for 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- Coffee whoopie pies with coffee filling - Pies: Swap the vanilla extract for 1 tbsp strong coffee and remove 1 tbsp of milk. Filling: Swap the jam and water for a tablespoon of strong coffee (use 1-2 tsp coffee granules to 2 tbsp boiling water).
- Lemon whoopie pies with lemon filling - Pies: Swap the vanilla extract for 1 tsp grated lemon zest. Filling: Swap the jam for lemon curd.
- Almond whoopie pies with apricot jam filling - Pies: Swap the vanilla extract for almond extract. Filling: Use apricot jam in the filling.