Sunday, 16 January 2011

Shloer Review...Fizzy, fruity and best served shared

Much to my kids' annoyance, I only allow them to have fizzy drinks occasionally. I'm always on the look out for healthier alternatives, so I was excited to be chosen to review two of Shloer's most popular varieties - white grape and red grape.

I'm a keen label-reader so that was the first thing I checked out. I was delighted to find that all varieties of Shloer are suitable for vegetarians & vegans; The ingredients vary slightly between flavours, but they all contain around 30% fruit juice with no added preservatives, artificial colours, sweeteners or flavourings. They are however pretty high in sugar.

The glass bottles look elegant and sophisticated, and wouldn't look out of place on the dinner table as an alternative for those adults not wishing to drink wine. Shloer can also be used as a mixer for delicious alcoholic and non-alcoholic cocktails!

So to the taste test...we shared Shloer and our verdict was:

White grape - We all thought that this variety tasted erm...grapey! It was light and fruity with just the right amount of fizziness. Both of the kids liked the level of sweetness, but Mr O and myself thought it was a bit too sweet for a 'grown up' soft drink. A bit more zing and zestiness would have been more appealing to us.

We rated the white grape variety 6/10. It was perfectly drinkable, but we felt it didn't have enough of a distinct flavour or appearance to make it stand out from the crowd.


Red grape - We all enjoyed the red grape Shloer "It's really fruity and refreshing" said Miss Ony (12). "It's fizzy and delicious" said Miss Kahonie (9). We rated the red grape variety 8/10 as we all felt that it was more visually appealing than the white variety and that it tasted fruitier, with subtle berry flavours.

So, would I buy Shloer? Yes, I would buy the red grape or one of the new varieties (we particularly like the sound of the white grape, raspberry & cranberry flavour), but this would mainly be for the kids as a treat, not for myself or Mr O (unless we were using it as a mixer!).

For more information, visit the official Shloer Facebook page at www.facebook/shloer where you can find recipes, shopping lists and information on the latest promotions.

Integrity Statement
I received 2 free bottles of Shloer to review. I did not receive payment, and the views expressed are genuinely those of myself and my family.

Images courtesy of Shloer © Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I buy the red grape Shloer for my boys for special occasions. I drank it instead of wine at Christmas (I am pregnant) and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks very much for your comment. It will be visible after approval.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...